Random thread

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
Squark

Re: Random thread

Post by Squark » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm an aspiring rationalist / effective altruist from Israel and a MIRI research associate.

I'm looking for people who would like to have an email correspondence with me, about nothing in particular. The idea is replying with roughly weekly frequency, writing about random thoughts, ideas and recent personal events. Basic information about me + contact details can be found at http://lesswrong.com/user/Squark/.

Raininginsanity

Post by Raininginsanity » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 am

Who are the mods here? Can we delete the spam threads?

archon

Post by archon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 am

Raininginsanity wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:48 am
Who are the mods here? Can we delete the spam threads?
Yeah. Who's keeping this ship running? (Thanks, BTW, whoever it is)
"Don't be silly -- if we were meant to evolve naturally, why would God have given us subdermal implants?"

Raininginsanity

Post by Raininginsanity » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you, who ever deleted them. :)

archon

Post by archon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:15 am

Raininginsanity wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:59 pm
Thank you, who ever deleted them. :)
Seconded
"Don't be silly -- if we were meant to evolve naturally, why would God have given us subdermal implants?"

Regex

Post by Regex » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm

Cafe Chesscourt is a paper town.

archon

Post by archon » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:57 am

Regex wrote:
Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:27 pm
Cafe Chesscourt is a paper town.
Hey! It'll grow. Probably.

Post by Guest » Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Paper town just means someone put it on a map, and then it sprung into existence because it was on the map. (Although admittedly the term may specifically refer to its use theft protection for mapmakers...) ;P

archon

Post by archon » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:42 am

Guest wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm
Paper town just means someone put it on a map, and then it sprung into existence because it was on the map. (Although admittedly the term may specifically refer to its use theft protection for mapmakers...) ;P
I knew about the copyright protection thing. I don't think anyone is going to go after nostalgebrast (Spelling?) for that one. Still it feels like a insult, which rankles my sense of tribal pride (for a largely empty tribe).

Also - are you a actually guest, or someone with the username "Guest". The former seems ... odd, considering how easy account creation is, and my not being aware of any such function, the later, more odd (but funnier).

Regex

Post by Regex » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:42 pm

I knew about the copyright protection thing. I don't think anyone is going to go after nostalgebrast (Spelling?) for that one. Still it feels like a insult, which rankles my sense of tribal pride (for a largely empty tribe).

Also - are you a actually guest, or someone with the username "Guest". The former seems ... odd, considering how easy account creation is, and my not being aware of any such function, the later, more odd (but funnier).
Ah, no I just posted without being logged in.

Sorry it felt insultish, was meant to be silly