Random thread

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
phaedrus

Random thread

Post by phaedrus » Mon May 08, 2017 5:53 pm

It's a standard forum institution to have a thread for things that don't fit into any other thread but don't merit a thread of their own, so here's one of those.

To start: what are good resources for learning statistics? I'm learning data science, but I want to know what exactly it is that I'm using scipy for.

chel_of_the_sea

Re: Random thread

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Mon May 08, 2017 9:08 pm

In my experience with a number of stat classes: don't take any actual stat classes, and go talk to someone who gets thermodynamics or quantum shit *and* a mathematician who gets the underlying structures. I didn't really get stat until I had both those pieces.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

cactus head

Post by cactus head » Wed May 10, 2017 9:37 pm

For the big data stuff there is a textbook available for free online called Elements of Statistical Learning. It starts with simple linear regression then moves on to ridge regression, LASSO, support vector machines, high dimensional problems, unsupervised learning, K-means clustering, neural networks and more. However, I've not used SciPy or big data stuff in general so I can't guarantee that this is the best free resource.

If you're interested in linear regression models and variants of these, the kind of thing used for smaller data sets, I recommend the textbook 'Data Analysis Using Regression and Multilevel/Hierarchical Models' by Andrew Gelman and Jennifer Hill, especially if you use R. This book begins with simple linear regression models, moves on to generalised linear models which includes stuff like logistic regression, then to mixed effects models that can deal with multiple sources of random errors, and finally generalised linear mixed models. The book is a bit dated--the parts that talk about Markov Chain Monte Carlo methods for fitting models are all about this software called WinBUGS (Bayesian inference Using Gibbs Sampling) which has been obsoleted by Stan which has interfaces for both R and Python.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Sat May 13, 2017 4:59 am

Here's something truly random: Am I the only who constantly has SSL certificate issues trying to connect to cafechesscourt? I feel like it happens mostly in the middle of the day (central time), but that might just be pareidolia. It's certainly frustrating, that about half the times that I try to check the website Firefox won't let me! (this is replicated across multiple devices, fwiw)
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 am

I had certificate issues last night, as well.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

theojones
Site Admin

Post by theojones » Sat May 13, 2017 5:43 am

Vulture wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 4:59 am
Here's something truly random: Am I the only who constantly has SSL certificate issues trying to connect to cafechesscourt? I feel like it happens mostly in the middle of the day (central time), but that might just be pareidolia. It's certainly frustrating, that about half the times that I try to check the website Firefox won't let me! (this is replicated across multiple devices, fwiw)
I haven't encountered this yet. But I would like to know if anyone else is.

Has this been happening more or less that usual today? l moved it behind Cloudflare yesterday which changed the SSL settings. So it would be interesting to see if that changed things.

Previously it was a letsencrypt certificate configured as per virtualmin defaults.

SSL diagnostic test results for the site as of now https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/analyze ... scourt.com

theojones
Site Admin

Post by theojones » Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 am

chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 am
I had certificate issues last night, as well.
Was it happening earlier?

It might be cloudflare. If it keeps up I may turn it off.

theojones
Site Admin

Post by theojones » Sat May 13, 2017 5:48 am

Disabled the Automatic HTTPS Rewrites feature of cloudflare. As it sounds like the type of setting that could break things. I'll see if this improves this.

Post by Guest » Sat May 13, 2017 5:50 am

I've been having the same issues for a few days now; for me it definitely didn't start or get noticeably worse yesterday/last night.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Sat May 13, 2017 5:52 am

(that was from me and posted at the same time as the comment that preceded it, sorry)
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.