Advice on trying to help someone

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
keepsakewhales

Advice on trying to help someone

Post by keepsakewhales » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:44 am

Hello, I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I am looking for any advice at all on trying to help a child in trouble. The child is 14 and lives in a volatile, abusive home (and won't speak up for himself . . . I'm almost certain it's a variety of selective mutism). A friend and I have made reports to CPS, but they have been no help and have only made the situation worse. This is in Nassau County, NY. Does anyone have any knowledge of CPS or the family court system?

cactus head

Re: Advice on trying to help someone

Post by cactus head » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:54 am

I can't do anything to help directly, but if you haven't already considered it, I think a post in the slatestarcodex open threads would be worth making because of the far greater exposure. The next open thread will be posted on the upcoming Sunday.

keepsakewhales

Post by keepsakewhales » Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:53 pm

I wouldn't be comfortable posting in that community.

keepsakewhales

Post by keepsakewhales » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 pm

The CPS caseworker has just admitted to me that she has never actually spoken to the kid. She didn't think this mattered much at all. She's already had the parents file an order of protection against the child and is pushing for the courts to declare the child a PINS (person in need of supervision).

Every time I speak to the county CPS workers, they are defensive and belligerent (to the point of accusing me of making false reports). We've been trying to get a new caseworker assigned to no avail. :cry:

phaedrus

Post by phaedrus » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:31 am

There are probably people whose *job* it is to know the system inside and out. This is the only way my parents found to successfully deal with the local school system. Have you considered trying to find and talk to one of them? This might cost a lot of money.

keepsakewhales

Post by keepsakewhales » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:18 am

@phaedrus, I neither have a lot of money, nor am I in a position to do this.

The latest word from the kid is that things have been peaceful at the house for the past several weeks and he doesn't want any further help from us at this point. However, there is a PINS hearing set for September. I worry because this child does not, ever, say one word in his defense.

(I also received a harassing call from the caseworker, who finally admitted that she had never actually spoken to the child but also didn't seem to think this was a big deal. She's firmly on the side of the abusive parents.)