Winning at Life

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
Raininginsanity

Re: Winning at Life

Post by Raininginsanity » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:37 pm

I think in today's market, experience almost always trumps education, especially when it comes to computers. But really it just depends on where you want to end up, and how motivated you are to teach yourself. You're probably good on the latter part. But deciding on where You want to to end up is difficult at that age (heck, I'm only 26 and I still struggle). My personal approach was to think about the type of person I wanted to be, and to figure out what kind of problems I wanted to solve (intelectualy and from a humanitarian perspective). These two things sort of formed an evolving identity for me which has led to a series of decisions, none of which I regret.

Thanks for the advice btw. I like the 20 minute walk idea as well. I need to be more active, and a simple morning walk would be an improvement.

Maughan

Post by Maughan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:33 am

I think the best thing I've done is to create a schedule for myself to follow. When I just try to wing it i end up getting nothing done.

Raininginsanity

Post by Raininginsanity » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:58 pm

How do you reconcile a schedule with the craziness of life? Anytime I try to set a schedule, I end up being dependent on other people to act consistently and to be punctual, and that's just not a good model.

archon

Post by archon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 12:18 am

Raininginsanity wrote:
Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:58 pm
How do you reconcile a schedule with the craziness of life? Anytime I try to set a schedule, I end up being dependent on other people to act consistently and to be punctual, and that's just not a good model.
What scheduling I do, has large allowances for random life things. And the spare half-hours are generally taken up with reading. Which I why don't try to schedule much past "get to class on time, and sleep a healthy amount".
"Don't be silly -- if we were meant to evolve naturally, why would God have given us subdermal implants?"