Introductions

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
archon

Re: Introductions

Post by archon » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:02 am

MarxBro wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:53 pm
chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm
MarxBro wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 am
Mostly because of media bias and other forms of bourgeois propaganda!
Ah yes, the unfalsifiable "no, see, the man just doesn't want you to know how good X is, and that's why every piece of data you have suggests it's actually awful". See also homeopathy, every third internet banner ad, pyramid schemes, anarchy, and indeed most fringe ideologies.
You're the one posting on a 'rationalist' forum with like 10 members, don't give me this 'fringe' sillyness, Marxism has organised millions of people all around the world for the last 150 years. Rationalists have a few blogs and the height of their praxis is meeting up for a couple beers. Have some perspective.
Can you have this argument in a new thread?
"Don't be silly -- if we were meant to evolve naturally, why would God have given us subdermal implants?"

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 am

(For what it's worth, I shouldn't need to point out that MarxBot is an exceptionally lazy and transparent troll, and I'm shocked that we feel the need to engage - but if we must, a new thread is best, yes.)
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

archon

Post by archon » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:09 pm

Vulture wrote:
Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:23 am
(For what it's worth, I shouldn't need to point out that MarxBot is an exceptionally lazy and transparent troll, and I'm shocked that we feel the need to engage - but if we must, a new thread is best, yes.)
I feel stupid now. I guess I am over-habituated to that kind of pseudo-Marxist trolling? My highschool was full of it.
"Don't be silly -- if we were meant to evolve naturally, why would God have given us subdermal implants?"

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:42 am

I'm not a troll, I posted very productively on the SSC subreddit until I was banned by mods for my political beliefs. However, I understand that this thread is not the place to discuss Marxism-Leninism in detail so I will make a thread soon.

wirehead_wannabe

Post by wirehead_wannabe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Hi, I'm wirehead_wannabe from wirehead-wannabe.tumblr.com

Hedonic utilitarian, Ravenclaw/Ravenclaw, somewhat antinatalist, something-like-left-libertarian, pro-freeze peach, pro-suicide rights. OCD, ADHD, probably an aspie, depressed as fuck. Graduated with a degree in bio.

cactus head

Post by cactus head » Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 am

wirehead_wannabe wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 pm
somewhat antinatalist
Hello Wirehead. I am also a bit of an antinatalist. I'm conflicted about it because I want to marry a nice girl and build a big family.

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:39 am

cactus head wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:07 am
wirehead_wannabe wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:08 pm
somewhat antinatalist
Hello Wirehead. I am also a bit of an antinatalist. I'm conflicted about it because I want to marry a nice girl and build a big family.
Could just adopt. Doesn't bring more folks into the world, does help people badly in need, and you can have as many kids as you can support.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

Edralis

Post by Edralis » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:13 pm

Hey, I'm Edralis! (tumblr: http://edralis.tumblr.com/) 26yo. I study philosophy in Bratislava, Slovakia. INTJ, Ravenclaw, but that is probably not unusual around here. I'm interested in... a lot of things!
[*]Philosophy. Especially metaphysics and philosophy of consciousness. Currently I am particularly sympathetic towards and thinking a lot about monopsychism, open individualism, (metaphysical) idealism, the subject of experience. Also ethics.
[*]Art and culture. Old and contemporary. Painting, sculpture, history of clothing. Understanding the relation of cultural zeitgeist of a culture and its cultural outputs.
[*]that includes Music . Medieval (Perotin, Hildegard, ars subtilior, Guillaume de Machaut), other old music (Gesualdo!), modernism, contemporary classical.
[*]Linguistics; especially phonetics. I like *sounds*. I am a conlanger, but I make very slow progress.
[*]Conworlding. (I enjoy constructing theoretical frameworks for how magic, or vampirism, could work.)
[*]Nonviolence. NVC. Understanding other people's POV. Understanding *my own* POV.
[*]I lurk on controversial culture-wars related subreddits and watch controversial youtubers -both SJW and alt-right- and try to make sense of why they think what they do and arrive at some kind of meta-understanding.
[*]Transhumanism, future of humanity.
[*]other things!

Raininginsanity

Post by Raininginsanity » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:19 pm

Welcome Edralis!

Strangely enough, there's lots of INTx people in the community even though Meyer Briggs is not very well respected in the Psych community. I would really like an answer to that. Scott Alexander brought that up the other day and it had me intrigued because its an argument I've made to my friends.

Me: I swear that INTP explains me really well!
Them: Its a horoscope! Of course you would think that!
Me: ...

Anyways, start a topic on any of your interests. I know nearly nothing about any of them but would be interested in learning.

cactus head

Post by cactus head » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Raininginsanity wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:19 pm
Me: I swear that INTP explains me really well!
Them: Its a horoscope! Of course you would think that!
Me: ...
To be meta-contrarian about this, it's a real difference from horoscopes in my opinion. People use their star sign to determine which of the twelve horoscopes they will read and they'll think it applies to them no matter what the star sign is---each of the twelve horoscopes are equally fluffy BS. With MB, people read the descriptions first and decide which type they are, and some types will resonate a lot more than others. On this basis, I think the MB is grasping at something real. I'm introverted, the eight extraverted types will not describe me at all. I will concede that a) the big five factor analysis (OCEAN) is better, and b) peoples' traits as measured by these things are unimodally distributed instead of bimodally distributed.