Introductions

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
Rachael

Re: Introductions

Post by Rachael » Thu May 25, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi, I'm Rachael. 35, female, in Cambridge, UK. Former software developer, currently stay-at-home mum and part-time academic editor.
I've been a fan of Slate Star Codex since it was a LiveJournal. I enjoyed Unsong, and I also enjoyed HPMOR, but haven't succeeded in getting into Eliezer's non-fiction; I think I find the style less engaging than Scott's. I also like Ozy's blog, Thing of Things.
I enjoy board games (strategic ones and wordy ones), and puzzles like cryptic crosswords and puzzle hunt-style puzzles.

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:31 am

Hey, I'm MarxBro. I'm a Marxist and a cool bro.

Post by Guest » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:53 am

Oh shit, it's MarxBro! I was wondering where you'd pop up next, since your exodus from reddit! Good to have you here!

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:58 am

Cheers! Politics is heavily biased against Marxism-Leninism Mao Zedong Thought these days so I'm just happy to try to provide some balance. :)

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:48 am

Yeah, I can't imagine why Stalin and Mao went out of favor :|
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 am

chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:48 am
Mostly because of media bias and other forms of bourgeois propaganda! That's ok, I think people will look back on them a lot more objectively/fondly in 20 or 50 years, especially as the internal crises of capitalism intensify. Hey chel, I work as a tutor also, it's good work. I might start a Marxism-Leninism study thread here...

cactus head

Post by cactus head » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:35 pm

Could this be the infusion of culture war this forum needs to stay alive ...! Welcome, MarxBro. I probably won't participate in the Marxism thread, but I might lurk.

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm

MarxBro wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 am
chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Mostly because of media bias and other forms of bourgeois propaganda!
Ah yes, the unfalsifiable "no, see, the man just doesn't want you to know how good X is, and that's why every piece of data you have suggests it's actually awful". See also homeopathy, every third internet banner ad, pyramid schemes, anarchy, and indeed most fringe ideologies.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:53 pm

chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm
MarxBro wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:13 am
chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Mostly because of media bias and other forms of bourgeois propaganda!
Ah yes, the unfalsifiable "no, see, the man just doesn't want you to know how good X is, and that's why every piece of data you have suggests it's actually awful". See also homeopathy, every third internet banner ad, pyramid schemes, anarchy, and indeed most fringe ideologies.
You're the one posting on a 'rationalist' forum with like 10 members, don't give me this 'fringe' sillyness, Marxism has organised millions of people all around the world for the last 150 years. Rationalists have a few blogs and the height of their praxis is meeting up for a couple beers. Have some perspective.

MarxBro

Post by MarxBro » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:02 pm

chel_of_the_sea wrote:
Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:53 pm
every third internet banner ad, pyramid schemes
These are only problems in capitalism, which is a fringe ideology.