Introductions

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
CarpeVinum

Re: Introductions

Post by CarpeVinum » Tue May 09, 2017 1:39 am

I'm David. Things I like and things I hate? I don't feel like telling you that. My dreams for the future? Never really thought about that. As for my hobbies... I have lots of hobbies.

SolenoidEntity

Post by SolenoidEntity » Tue May 09, 2017 4:14 am

I'm SolenoidEntity - I comment (very occasionally) on SSC and Unsong as scherzando, but couldn't resist a Northern Caves reference when registering on a forum called Cafe Chesscourt.I read SSC regularly, and Thing of Things and a few other rationalist blogs occasionally, but have never felt strongly about Being A Rationalist, probably because I've never spent much time on LessWrong.

Part of me is still convinced that this forum is actually just for discussing inscrutable novels, and I would not complain if that were to be the case. At any rate, I'm curious to see what it becomes.

anthusiasm

Post by anthusiasm » Tue May 09, 2017 2:51 pm

I'm Annie! inquisitivefeminist on Tumblr, anthusiasm on Alicornucopia (Alicorn's writing forum/generalized glowfic forum). Cis girl, American, creative writing major, fairly SJW-y. Got involved with the community through Luminosity, which led me to other Alicornfic/glowfic, which led me to rat tumblr. I'm very conflict-averse and, consequently, Internet arguments really stress me out(so if we start to have an Internet Argument on here and I stop responding that's probably why). I mostly hang around rationalist tumblr because I like reading my friends blogs + all the awesome fiction people keep writing.

axolotl

Post by axolotl » Tue May 09, 2017 7:54 pm

Hi, I'm the axolotl. I'm on tumblr (adzolotl) and discord and stuff.

I am really happy this is a thing now.

shacklesburst

Post by shacklesburst » Tue May 09, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi, I'm shacklesburst, go by this name on tumblr, twitter, ao3 and a few other sites, but most are not rationality related. Started reading HPMOR some time in 2010, and read a sizable chunk of the sequences some time later, but I mostly consider them fine afternoon reading, without many implications for the real world (other than possibly influencing me to make the jump from humanist to transhumanist).

Started tumblr for totally unrelated reasons and later stumbled upon rattumblr by accident, which brought me much closer into the movement than lw. In the common distinction made between the Craft and the Community, I'm firmly on the Community side. I like the ingroupy feel, making jokes and some minor discussion, but consider myself mostly adjacent for many of the cult tenets ;).

I like maths, languages, anime, fanfic and hockey ... and I suck at all of them. But who cares :D.

MugaSofer

Post by MugaSofer » Tue May 09, 2017 10:17 pm

Hi, I'm MugaSofer on most sites. He/him, Irish (well, American-Irish, but these days we're kind of blurring into America anyway). Into game design and writing. My description on both my blogs is "Rationalist, Christian, Liberal".

HPMOR>LessWrong & Worm>SSC & /r/rational > rattumb is my rationalist life story.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Wed May 10, 2017 2:42 am

I wasn't inclined to do the terse and enigmatic thing, but since a bunch of other people are doing it I might as well save myself some effort and do this too-clever-by-half meta commentary on same that has a similar effect. You can call me vulture.
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

Avret

Post by Avret » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

Avret, cis male, I go by sdhs-rationalist on tumblr, avret here and on FFN, and ebthgidr on a now dead LW account. Lurker on SSC, contributing to unsong with the best puns I can muster. Currently on a mountaintop in Israel studying Theology precollege (where I intend to study some mix of CS and engineering). Sorta second in command of a rationalist startup.

Doug1943

Post by Doug1943 » Wed May 10, 2017 3:27 pm

Whoa ... so many intelligent people here!

Maybe we can come up with a solution for .... hmmm.... Syria? Or something more modest? Stronger shopping bags?
"You can get a lot further in life with a kind word, and a gun, than you can with a kind word alone."
(Mis-attributed to Al Capone.)

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Wed May 10, 2017 7:30 pm

My roommate and I already solved the shopping bags problem: bring a suitcase and load that.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).