Introductions

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
hpgross

Introductions

Post by hpgross » Tue May 02, 2017 12:52 am

While many of us may know many of the other faces around here, I think it would be a good idea to have a thread for introductions.

I'm hpgross, here and most other places. He/him, Anglo-Canadian, math major, sci-fi nerd.

Found the rationalist community a couple of times before deciding to hang out in the community. Learned about it from the transhumanist side first.

theojones
Site Admin

Re: Introductions

Post by theojones » Sat May 06, 2017 2:02 am

Hi. I'm Theo. He/him. I usually go by usernames that are variants my my name. I live in Arizona, but will be moving to the Bay Area soon.

I got into the rationalist community through SSC, found out about rattumb through there, and created a tumblr account.

house-carpenter

Post by house-carpenter » Sat May 06, 2017 2:37 am

I'm house-carpenter on tumblr, thehousecarpenter on WordPress and the SSC comments. I'm male, English, and a linguistics master's student currently living in Edinburgh. I'm into linguistics, mathematics, anthropology, sociology, folklore and folk music. I became interested in the rationalist community via Ozy's blog and SSC.

fnord888

Post by fnord888 » Sat May 06, 2017 6:37 am

Hi, I'm Fnord (he/him). fnord888 on tumblr, also.

cactus head

Post by cactus head » Sun May 07, 2017 3:37 am

I'm cactus head on slatestarcodex. I had a tumblr (not called cactus head) for rationalist tumblr but I stopped using it.

Silver and Ivory

Post by Silver and Ivory » Sun May 07, 2017 4:32 pm

I'm silver and ivory, and generally go by that elsewhere.

I discovered the rat community through hpmor and then read through the Sequences. At that point I sort of lost track of it; but then someone on another forum linked me to SSC's I Can Tolerate Anything Except the Outgroup, and from there I discovered Ozy's blog and then Tumblr.

I like math and politics!

wfro

Post by wfro » Mon May 08, 2017 3:58 am

I'm wfro and generally go by similar mediocre abbreviations of my real name. Male white American medical student in Michigan. Interests include politics and board games. Religiously read SSC. Used to lurk in Rationalist Tumblr. Currently compulsively use Twitter although not quite as Rationalist-orientedly as I did Tumblr.

blacktrance

Post by blacktrance » Mon May 08, 2017 4:09 am

I'm blacktrance in most places and eccentric-opinion and fatpinocchio on rattumb. I used to be a frequent commenter at SSC, but I got tired of the commentariat.

YumAntimatter

Post by YumAntimatter » Mon May 08, 2017 6:27 am

Hi, I'm Yum! This is my username pretty much everywhere. I'm not currently very active anywhere in the community, partially because writing drains my energy. Expect me to hang around in the background, read all your posts, and very occasionally chip in.

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Mon May 08, 2017 9:41 am

Rachel, M>F trans newcomer to this community from the Seattle area (hi, meetup people!). Master's in math, but my work is mostly in education. Was linked to SSC about a year ago and through it the rest of the rationalist community, and was delighted to find out that there are people out there like me.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).