Rationalism outside the Anglophone world?

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
hoghoghoghoghog

Rationalism outside the Anglophone world?

Post by hoghoghoghoghog » Wed May 31, 2017 3:58 am

I ask for the following reason:

1) Language barriers are maybe still strong enough that we should expect new-to-us and therefore valuable ideas/thinking-styles to be more common in other languages than in our own.

2) This is pretty sophomoric, but I wonder whether we're in a sort of an Axial Age of the Internet, where old sources of epistemic authority have been laid low and sages have stepped forth to fill the gap with new codes of epistemic virtue. If so, rationalist communities should be appearing all over the world right about now.

ShareDVI

Re: Rationalism outside the Anglophone world?

Post by ShareDVI » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:46 am

There's a quite active Russian community. They have LessWrong translations over lesswrong.ru

liskantope

Re: Rationalism outside the Anglophone world?

Post by liskantope » Sat Jun 10, 2017 11:03 pm

I see no sign of it here in Italy, and the small Italian response to Scott's recent call for rationalists in major cities of the world to set up their own meetings was not encouraging. But then again, I saw very few signs of it back when I was in America and only discovered it online, so who knows.