Welcome!

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
bakkot

Re: Welcome!

Post by bakkot » Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm

SSC comments are moving fast, don't really allow for creating threads, and have a hellish interface.
:(

(Context: most of the features of the SSC comment system that are not vanilla wordpress are my fault. Unless you have JavaScript disabled, in which case, enable it and see if it gets better?)

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Wed May 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Ah, now that's the kind of thing I was thinking of, re raison detre (I'm not on mobile, forgive me my anglicization). SSC is a great feeder, if that's the kind of thing we want around here (which it seems we do).
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

dsp

Post by dsp » Thu May 11, 2017 8:56 pm

bakkot wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm
(Context: most of the features of the SSC comment system that are not vanilla wordpress are my fault. Unless you have JavaScript disabled, in which case, enable it and see if it gets better?)
It really is very bad, you know.The range of expectations people have out of a comment system is probably unsatisfiably broad, but I also suspect you're pretty far to one end of it.

chel_of_the_sea

Post by chel_of_the_sea » Thu May 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Agreed with DSP above. I honestly don't know why anyone left phpbb interfaces, I feel like this is basically the pinnacle of forum design.
:arrow: TL;DR: 27, trans woman, M.A. in math, Seattle area. Tutor by current trade, but in a bit of professional limbo (if you know anyone hiring, let me know!).

bakkot

Post by bakkot » Fri May 12, 2017 2:07 am

dsp wrote:
Thu May 11, 2017 8:56 pm
bakkot wrote:
Wed May 10, 2017 9:31 pm
It really is very bad, you know.The range of expectations people have out of a comment system is probably unsatisfiably broad, but I also suspect you're pretty far to one end of it.
I didn't claim to like it. But I'd like to think I've improved it, at least.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Fri May 12, 2017 4:40 am

Since I guess this is the thread for ~~meta stuff~~: How do people feel about RP?
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

SolenoidEntity

Post by SolenoidEntity » Fri May 12, 2017 4:56 am

Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:40 am
Since I guess this is the thread for ~~meta stuff~~: How do people feel about RP?
For it, especially if it's RPing a version of that thread on a forum named Cafe Chesscourt. Was just considering posting to ask whether that's what people want to do on that thread (vs. turn it into a general Doylist discussion of nostalgebraist's fiction, which we should also have).

May be logistically challenging considering that so little of the source material (i.e. Salby's Northern Caves) actually exists, but that's what fanfic is for if someone wants to give it a try.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 am

SolenoidEntity wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:56 am
Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 4:40 am
For it, especially if it's RPing a version of that thread on a forum named Cafe Chesscourt. Was just considering posting to ask whether that's what people want to do on that thread (vs. turn it into a general Doylist discussion of nostalgebraist's fiction, which we should also have).

May be logistically challenging considering that so little of the source material (i.e. Salby's Northern Caves) actually exists, but that's what fanfic is for if someone wants to give it a try.
Isn't that thread just copied from the fic, though?

SolenoidEntity

Post by SolenoidEntity » Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 am

Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 am

Yeah. Not 100% sure if you were wondering about the "logistically challenging" part of what I said, but if so - I mean because the point of that thread (in-universe) was to discuss a book that the characters were all reading together, and (in our universe) only a small fraction of that book has been written, so people are going to have to be both creative and flexible about what they think it says. (Very possibly this is already a well-understood issue for people doing collaborative text roleplaying of this kind, I haven't done much at all so I wouldn't know.)

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 am

SolenoidEntity wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 am
Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 am

Yeah. Not 100% sure if you were wondering about the "logistically challenging" part of what I said, but if so - I mean because the point of that thread (in-universe) was to discuss a book that the characters were all reading together, and (in our universe) only a small fraction of that book has been written, so people are going to have to be both creative and flexible about what they think it says. (Very possibly this is already a well-understood issue for people doing collaborative text roleplaying of this kind, I haven't done much at all so I wouldn't know.)
I got the "logistically challenging" part. I guess the reason I brought up the fact that it's lifted straight from TNC (the metafiction) is that it's not actually clear whether what's going on is RP or a sterile re-creation of a fictional document for display purposes or whatever - both are roughly equally plausible as motivations and people might find one more desirable than the other.

In any event, it might make sense at some point to have a separate subforum for such things, but maybe that's best left for the future.