Welcome!

Discussion for all topics (until the forum becomes large enough to justify splitting things up this will be where all topics go)
SolenoidEntity

Re: Welcome!

Post by SolenoidEntity » Fri May 12, 2017 5:56 am

Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:44 am
SolenoidEntity wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:35 am
Vulture wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 am

Isn't that thread just copied from the fic, though?
Yeah. Not 100% sure if you were wondering about the "logistically challenging" part of what I said, but if so - I mean because the point of that thread (in-universe) was to discuss a book that the characters were all reading together, and (in our universe) only a small fraction of that book has been written, so people are going to have to be both creative and flexible about what they think it says. (Very possibly this is already a well-understood issue for people doing collaborative text roleplaying of this kind, I haven't done much at all so I wouldn't know.)
I got the "logistically challenging" part. I guess the reason I brought up the fact that it's lifted straight from TNC (the metafiction) is that it's not actually clear whether what's going on is RP or a sterile re-creation of a fictional document for display purposes or whatever - both are roughly equally plausible as motivations and people might find one more desirable than the other.

In any event, it might make sense at some point to have a separate subforum for such things, but maybe that's best left for the future.
Fair enough - I don't know what the purpose behind it was either.

A separate subforum probably would make sense, but maybe only once there's more interest than one OP whose intent is unknown + me expressing vague interest because it would be thematically appropriate.

Vulture

Post by Vulture » Fri May 12, 2017 6:01 am

Yeah, I think that's reasonable.
Let's try to make this a place where we can choose not to assign moral valence to empirical claims.

metamarsh

Post by metamarsh » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm

I am not able to manage this account. Would a dedicated TNC fan like to do so? The password is the username.

SolenoidEntity

Post by SolenoidEntity » Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:48 am

metamarsh wrote:
Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:39 pm
I am not able to manage this account. Would a dedicated TNC fan like to do so? The password is the username.
Done. Changed the password so it's no longer open to the world.

This can also serve as a public disclosure that metamarsh is now my sockpuppet, which I will use only in "Seeking Continuity" and any other in-character TNC threads which are created. Given the circumstances, I hope that's alright - let me know if there is any problem.

Errant KnightsMove

Post by Errant KnightsMove » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:00 pm

SolenoidEntity wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:56 am

A separate subforum probably would make sense, but maybe only once there's more interest than one OP whose intent is unknown + me expressing vague interest because it would be thematically appropriate.
Hello there! I am the guy who created (or, rather, recreated) that thread.

I did it for two reasons: One, since the forum was named after a fictional one, the idea of recreating the one existing thread from it and bringing it to existence amused me. Two, I was just curious if anyone would play along, especially without me explicitly explaining it. I must admit, when a few people did, it brought a smile on my face. That said, I am not exactly super-invested in it and I am definitely not interested in actually RPing in the universe or recreating the entire thing beyond that first forum page. So, uh, if it's a nuisance to you, feel free to lock it, or whatever.

Have a lovely day.

SolenoidEntity

Post by SolenoidEntity » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:36 am

Errant KnightsMove wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:00 pm
SolenoidEntity wrote:
Fri May 12, 2017 5:56 am

Hello there! I am the guy who created (or, rather, recreated) that thread.

I did it for two reasons: One, since the forum was named after a fictional one, the idea of recreating the one existing thread from it and bringing it to existence amused me. Two, I was just curious if anyone would play along, especially without me explicitly explaining it. I must admit, when a few people did, it brought a smile on my face. That said, I am not exactly super-invested in it and I am definitely not interested in actually RPing in the universe or recreating the entire thing beyond that first forum page. So, uh, if it's a nuisance to you, feel free to lock it, or whatever.

Have a lovely day.
It's definitely not a nuisance to me - I'm quite amused and glad it exists, and took the opportunity to make the appropriate Marsh post when someone abandoned that account. I think a couple of us were just wondering what the goal was/how into it everyone was going to get.